33 And A Third

Brew your own mp3s for pennies! The nuts & bolts of transferring a music collection from vinyl record albums to mp3. With a heavy dose of Garage Rock, 60s R & B, Classic Country, and groovy hits from our dusty record bins.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Church of Rock & Roll

On this beautiful Sunday morning I want to take the opportunity to reaffirm my belief that 99-percent of the love, peace and happiness in the world is contained within the grooves of the standard Long Playing Record. May it rest in peace.The Little Country Church of Rock & Roll
I've long held this belief, at least since I was a small boy, when I would listen with enraptured ears to my Mother's copy of the soundtrack to the "King & I". My Father wisely removed that record from the house, but I continued in my beliefs. But, much like the Prodigal Son (which I've always thought would make a good name for a band..."And now, let's welcome them back to the stage, 'The Prodigal Sons'!"...meanwhile over at the bar..."yea, I'd like a Fatted Calf, water back."), I strayed from my beliefs. First came the short-lived temptation of 8-Track tapes. Then the slightly more satisfying experiments with Cassette tapes. And finally the total surrender to the demon hell of CDs.
In my particular case I think the biggest temptation of the CD was the 40 to 60 minute length plus the ability to program sequential discs...no longer would I have to get up every 20 minutes to turn the record over. I could load up the 5-disc player and let it run.The Lasagna of Rock & Roll
I can hear you out there starting to whisper the "L" word...that's right, Lasagna. Over the years too much lasagna had enlarged my ass to the point where I could no longer get up off the couch to turn a record over. Sad but true.
Anyway, back to this fine Sunday morning and my reaffirmation of the power of the LP. I give full credit to Audacity and ClickRepair, my two favorite programs for tranferring my record collection to mp3. These two programs have made it possible for me to reacquaint myself with hundreds of albums that I had put away like children's toys.
And the best part: I have about 3,000 mp3 files on my computer. Songs I love, songs I like, songs that are OK, but no songs I don't like. I can set my music playback software (I use SonicStage) to shuffle and the songs just play. And play. And play. I figure I can go about 6 days without repeating a song...except for the 5 or 6 versions of "Tallahassee Lassie" that I have. Plus, I have a small FM transmitter (the SoundFeeder SF-150) hooked to my sound card so I can listen to my music in any room of the house.
So get out in the garage today and rescue the boxes of records you packed away years ago. It is all still there in the grooves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home